People are always looking for a shortcut or the secret to success. As we all know, there is no one way. There are, however, small changes that you can make in some areas of your life that will assist in this process.
- Start your day by being greatful – a grateful heart will get you further than an egotistical mind.
- Discipline yourself to save money
- Be generous – in every way possible
- Stop. Blaming. Others. Take responsibility for all the areas of your life
- Take good care of the people that you love
- Be bold and courageous – you will regret more the things you didn’t do, than the things you did.
- Get out of bed 15 mins earlier – use this time to make a healthy breakfast
- Stop using Facebook
- Find a mentor and learn as much as you can about them, get to know them if you can
- Exercise. Walk. Run. Go to the Gym. No excuses
- Wear colour based on which mood you want to be in – colour influences your mood so tailor your decor and wardrobe accordingly
- Embrace your emotions, use them effectively
- Listen to affirmations, podcasts and audio books based on the type of success you wish to have in your life
- Develop and groom yourself into someone you want to be
Personal development is a used and maligned term. It is about taking the time, and making the commitment, to invest in your greatest resource – you. When you put the effort in to developing yourself, the rewards are endless. The greatest achievers in life know that the key to success is the ability to manage yourself in a variety of situations.
- Personal development begins with self-awareness. Learning who you really are; your values, beliefs and the purpose you wish to pursue. True fulfilment can never come from chasing other people’s dreams. If you want to achieve lasting happiness, you need to design your life based on who you are. Then you can chase your own goals and objectives.
- Once you have raised your self-awareness, you are clearer on the things you wish to achieve from life. Decision-making becomes a lot easier. Tasks, which used to take a great deal of your time, no longer make it onto your to-do list.
- With personal development comes clarity. Even with an improved sense of direction, there will always be multiple tasks looking for your attention. As your personal development improves, prioritisation will also become much easier. You will become clearer on your objectives and quickly identify which task will give you the best result with the resources available to you at that moment.
- When you know what you want to achieve, it is easier for you to see the benefits of taking action. Even when the task ahead is not enjoyable; if you can see a clear benefit, you are more motivated to take the necessary action.
- Relationships are a double-edged sword. They either lift you up or drag you down. When you improve your personal development, you are better able to see which relationships are worth investing in and which need to be cut loose.
Written by Kristy Thomas